We would like to ensure that you are still receiving content that you find useful – please confirm that you would like to continue to receive ILO newsletters.
01 October 2007
On January 23 2006 the presidents of Bolivia and Venezuela executed an agreement for cooperation in the energy sector which led to the incorporation of a mixed economy company between Bolivian state-owned oil company Yacimientos Petrolíferos Fiscales Bolivianos (YPFB) and Venezuelan state-owned oil company Petróleos de Venezuela SA (PDVSA). The new company's purpose was to develop within the Bolivian territory projects related to:
Despite the nationalization process in the hydrocarbon sector (for further details please see "State Operations in the Hydrocarbons Sector"), PDVSA incorporated the Bolivian branch PDVSA Bolivia SA and on July 9 2007 executed an agreement with YPFB to incorporate the mixed economy company YPFB - Petroandina SAM, with the purpose of developing exploration and exploitation activities in Bolivia's hydrocarbon sector.
As a result of Supreme Decree 29189 (as modified by Supreme Decree 29217 on
August 2 2007) the incorporation of Petroandina was authorized, therefore
complying with the Bolivian Commercial Code.
Petroandina has a registered capital of Bol1.6 million (approximately $200,000). YPFB owns 60% of the company's shares and PDVSA Bolivia owns the remaining 40%.
On May 13 2007, prior to the incorporation of Petroandina, the Bolivian government enacted Supreme Decree 29130 which authorized YPFB to enter into partnership with other companies with the purpose of developing hydrocarbon exploration and exploitation activities in traditional and non-traditional areas.
Article 4 of Supreme Decree 29130 obliges YPFB to incorporate mixed economy companies with companies:
Thus, through Supreme Decree 29130 the Bolivian government opened the doors exclusively to PDVSA to access the Bolivian market. On the one hand, Venezuela and Bolivia have executed an agreement on energy cooperation, but on the other hand, the Venezuelan company was not previously operating in the country and therefore had not executed the necessary operation agreements granting it permission to develop those activities.
In this regard, Petroandina will start to operate in Bolivia in the coming months, undertaking exploration and exploitation activities in the hydrocarbon sector. It is likely that in the near future Bolivian and Venezuelan state-owned companies will incorporate new mixed economy companies to perform the rest of the sector's activities.
For further information on this topic please contact Rodrigo A Henriquez Essmann at Indacochea & Asociados, Abogados by telephone (+591 3 535 356) or by fax (+591 3 581 200) or by email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The materials contained on this website are for general information purposes only and are subject to the disclaimer.
ILO is a premium online legal update service for major companies and law firms worldwide. In-house corporate counsel and other users of legal services, as well as law firm partners, qualify for a free subscription.
Rodrigo A Henriquez Essmann