Paul Peters has practised as a lawyer since 1986. He has been a corporate law partner at AKD (and its legal predecessor Van Wijmen) since 1995. In this capacity, Paul heads the Insolvency & Litigation Law section and the associated litigation practice in Rotterdam.
The clients of this section include insurance companies, investment companies and finance companies, such as mortgage lenders and lease companies, which regularly have to deal with natural or legal persons experiencing financial difficulty. Conversely, the section also represents companies in their dealings with creditors and receivers.
In addition, the section represents executive directors, supervisory directors, regulators, and liability insurance companies in disputes with corporations, housing associations and other legal entities and/or their receivers.
Paul and his colleagues are regularly appointed as official receivers in bankruptcy cases. These bankruptcies differ considerably in size, so that the section has a wide range of experience at all levels, from large to small. Paul has acted or is acting as a receiver in several high-profile bankruptcy cases, including:
· Hoogewerf De Rijke Seaport (HRS);
· RDM Technology;
· RDM Submarines;
· SS Rotterdam;
· SHB (Rotterdamse Havenpool);
· Stichting Ontwikkelingsmaatschappij IJsselmonde (OMIJ);
· Royal Imtech N.V.
Unfortunately, more and more business are suffering under the present economic climate. Our challenge is to prevent and limit the size of any damages wherever possible.
In our experience, professional legal advice can make a significant positive contribution.
Paul’s clients include Centraal Beheer Achmea, Value Enhancement Partners, Dura Vermeer, various Dutch municipalities, and Crowe Horwath Peak.
Paul’s side activities include:
· Board member (secretary) at SBV Excelsior Rotterdam;
· Lecturer at Radboud Universiteit Nijmegen – Centre for Postgraduate Education;
· Lecturer at the Dutch foundation of chartered accountants (Stichting Register Accountants);
· Lecturer at the Academy for Law Practice (Academy voor de Rechtspraktijk)
· Guest lecturer at Leiden University;
- Editor, author and co-author of various leading legal publications and books.